Disability at the Stage of Instability in the Arab World
Americas, Events, Middle East, June 8 2018
NEW YORK, USA: On the Occasion of the 11th Session of the Conference of States Parties to the CRPD & Co – Sponsored by DESA The League of Arab States (LAS): Development & Social Polices Department The Arab Organization of Persons with Disabilities (AOPD) are holding a side event on: Disability at the stage of instability in the Arab world: Safety and security of persons with disabilities in situations of conflict and violence.
This event will take place on Tuesday June 12, 2018 from 3.00 pm – 4.15 pm in Conference Room C.
The political and security instability situation in a number of Arab countries has left thousands of new people with disabilities. Given the increasingly difficult living conditions and the worsening security unrest, people with disabilities find themselves more isolated and marginalized, in situations of displacement and asylum. However, this situation is often overlooked, particularly by the international media and some international non-governmental relief organizations.
In light of these facts, the resolution N 839 of 14/11/2017 of the Council of Arab Social Affairs ministers demand to organize a side event on the occasion of the 11th Session of the Conference of States Parties to the CRPD.
This event will focus the dialogue and discussion on: mechanisms and methods to ensure the safety and security of persons with disabilities in situations of conflict and excessive violence, and the classification of their special needs, and what methods should be adopted to meet these challenges in the current or emerging areas of conflict, in light of the reality of the current situation and Including the obstacles, problems and difficulties, as well as identifying steps and measures to be taken to address and assist in order to improve conditions as much as possible, and to avoid future problems.
Moderated by: LAS (technical secretariat of Council of Arab Social Affairs ministers)
- League of Arab States
- UN Secretary General representative
- Head of Executive Board of Council of Arab Social Affairs ministers
- Arab Organization of Persons with Disabilities (AOPD)
- Ms. Ann Lucia, Chair of RIADIS & Vice chair of the International Disability Alliance(IDA)
- Mr. Ioannis Vardakastanis, Member of the European Economic & Social Committee (EESC) ,president of the European Disability Forum (EDF) President of the National Confederation Of Disabled People in Greece (NCDP)
- Ms. Gisela Nauk, Social Policy Section, Chief (ESCWA)
- Ms. Daniela Bas, Director ,United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs(Video message)
Re-posted with permission