5th Asia-Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development
Asia-Pacific, Built Environment, News, April 2 2018
BANGKOK, THAILAND: The Fifth Asia-Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development (APFSD) took place from 28-30 March 2018 in Bangkok, Thailand. Organized by the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), the Forum is the Asia-Pacific regional preparatory meeting for the High-Level Political Forum (HLPF) that will be held at UN headquarters in New York in July 2018. The upcoming HLPF will be held on the theme “Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies” and the fifth APFSD mirrored this theme.
During APFSD 2018, more than 750 registered participants gathered to debate regional perspectives on the follow-up to and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (2030 Agenda), and to discuss ways to strengthen the implementation of the Agenda. The Forum was organized around sessions on:
- Regional perspectives on the follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda;
- A High-level panel on “Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies;
- Progress in the implementation of SDG 17 (partnership for the Goals) and promoting means of implementation;
- Parallel roundtables for in-depth review of SDG 6 (clean water and sanitation), 7 (affordable and clean energy), 11 (sustainable cities and communities), 12 (responsible consumption and production) and 15 (life on land);
- Assessment of interlinkages across SDGs;
- Strengthening the implementation of the 2030 Agenda;
- National perspectives and progress through the lens of the voluntary national reviews (VNRs);
- Review of the implementation of the Regional Roadmap for the Implementation of the 2030 Agenda; and
- Partnerships for implementation of the SDGs.
The Forum was preceded by a youth forum, a civil society forum (People’s Forum) and several regional workshops on: human settlements indicators; building resilience through participation; leaving no one behind; and capacity building for countries submitting VNRs to the HLPF. On the sidelines of the Forum, 24 side events took place, and various reports were launched, including: “Transformation Towards Sustainable and Resilient Societies in Asia and the Pacific,” jointly published by ESCAP, the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the UN Development Programme (UNDP); and “Partnering for Sustainable Development: Guidelines for Multi-stakeholder Partnerships to Implement the 2030 Agenda in Asia and the Pacific,” developed by the UN University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability and ESCAP.
Visit the IISD/ENB+ Meeting Coverage from Bangkok, Thailand at: http://enb.iisd.org/hlpf/
For full article, click here