Lebanon launches hearing aid project

Middle East, March 24 2017

BEIRUT: The Beirut Freedoms Lions Club of Lebanon, in collaboration with some Lebanese companies in the country, has initiated a project to provide hearing aid devices for people with hearing disabilities in Ghana.

The first batch of 60 hearing aid devices has been fixed for people with hearing disabilitiesat a cost of $222,000 (about GH¢999,000), as each of the devices cost $3,700 (GH¢16,000).

The Beirut Lions Club of Lebanon sponsored 85 per cent of the cost, while some Lebanese companies in Ghana footed the remaining 15 per cent of the cost. The Lions Club of Ghana is facilitating the project.

The President of the Beirut Freedoms Lions Club of Lebanon, Mr Raja Jabbour, said at the launch of the project last Friday that the club had the passion to help restore lost hearing, hence the support for such patients in Ghana.

“The cooperation I have received from the Lions Club Ghana motivated me to facilitate the provision of the 60 hearing aid devices to begin with,” he said.

He acknowledged the support of the Lebanese Ambassador to Ghana, Mr Ali Halaby, and the Lebanese community in Ghana for their support.

The Minister of Health, Mr Kwaku Agyeman-Manu, said the use of hearing devices in the management of hearing impairment had shown to be very beneficial and expressed gratitude to the Lions Club for the support.

“The Beirut Lion’s club has shown the way and we believe many more institutions will emulate and partner the government as we take steps to restore hope and life to the many people with disabilities,” he said.

Hearing disability is the most frequent sensory defect in humans and occurs with significant social and psychological implications.

The Korle Bu Teaching Hospital estimates that more than 712 patients with hearing impairment are on the waiting list of the various hearing assessment centres across the country to enable them to receive hearing aid devices.

Source: ghanaweb

Share this post: