Disaster assistance available for older adults and people with disabilities in West Virginia

Americas, Disaster, July 22 2016

CHARLESTON, W.VA.: Older adults and people with disabilities affected by the June 22-29 severe storms, flooding, landslides and mudslides may be eligible for assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

FEMA has made it a priority to reach everyone who needs help – including people with disabilities and others with access and functional needs, older adults and people with limited English proficiency – to make sure all survivors’ needs are met.

Accommodating survivors

  • Every disaster survivor has equal access to disaster information and assistance.
  • All FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers (DRCs) are physically accessible.
  • All DRCs offer effective communication options, including captioned phones, iPads with video remote interpreting and on-site American Sign Language interpreters upon request.
  • Both Braille and large print FEMA documents are available.
  • If you need an accommodation or assistance due to a disability, please notify FEMA staff at the time of registration or anytime during the assistance process.

If you experienced losses or damage as a result of the recent storms you have several ways to register for disaster assistance:

  • You can apply online at DisasterAssistance.gov, or by telephone at 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585. If you use 711-Relay or Video Relay Services, you should call 800-621-3362. Operators are multilingual and calls are answered from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. EST seven days a week.
  • Or you can visit a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC). You can locate the center closest to you by visiting http://go.usa.gov/x3NnJ or downloading the FEMA App to your mobile device to:
    • Apply for disaster assistance
    • Get directions to the nearest DRC
    • Get weather alerts
    • Subscribe to disaster safety tips

Will disaster assistance change my benefits?

  • If you receive Social Security benefits, Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps (SNAP – Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), or Aid to Families with Dependent Children, you will not lose your benefits and they will not be cut if you receive disaster aid from the state or FEMA.
  • For more information on Social Security, contact the Social Security Administration by calling 800-772-1213 or by visiting SocialSecurity.gov.

How will I know what I am eligible for?

  • If you live in one of the 12 West Virginia counties approved for federal Individual Assistance as a result of the storms that occurred June 22-29 you may be eligible for disaster aid.
  • The only way to know if you are eligible – and what you are eligible for – is to apply.

Are there any videos available?

Additional information on West Virginia’s disaster recovery can be found by visiting fema.gov/disaster/4273,

Share this post: